Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Forever Young Records

This isn't located in Dallas proper, but since every good city needs a good record store, I need a good record store to think well of my city. I think probably the standard store I compare all others to is San Francisco's Amoeba Music, which bills itself as "The World's Largest Independently Owned Record Store." I took out the exclamation point; if you feel a statement like that needs one, feel free to put it back.

I won't try to make a side-by-side comparison, but Forever Young seems nearly as large and carries music in a variety of mediums including 8-tracks, cassettes, vinyl and CDs. There seems to be a wide selection of jazz and easy listening to suite my tastes, but there didn't seem to be any classical. Upon asking we were directed to a special stach behind a door and while small, the selection was well-culled. 

I came home with three vinyl records and one cd. One of the vinyl records was brand-new, which at $35 may make it worth every penny given the crackling in one of the 1960s-era discs I am currently playing. It's also interesting to note the new disc is quite thick and of higher quality than the records from the 1970s and early 1980s. 

Forever Young also has a selection of turntables and memorabilia and carries turntable needles. Unfortunately it doesn't appear you can get there using public transit. 

Forever Young Records
2955 South Highway 360
Grand Prairie, Texas 75052

No comments:

Post a Comment