Friday, June 24, 2011

Don't Talk to Me, I'm Eating (really good pizza)

Margherita Pizza at Cavalli in Irving
At this stage in my life I tend to judge every pizza by Brooklyn standards. It was an article in the Dallas Morning News today that had Cavalli Pizza in Irving living up to Italian standards that was cause for me to head to this nearby suburb this evening. Cavalli Pizza did not disappoint, at least by Brooklyn standards.

These Italian standards come from something called the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana (AVPN) and determine things like the purity of the ingredients and the temperature of the ovens. Kind of reminds me of the German purity laws for beer. Whatever the guidelines, if this is the result, I'm sold.

All the pizza's on the menu at Cavalli are personal-sized. Pizza's in Napoli are huge, however. But there was a large pie at another table, so I asked. Turns out if they're not busy, they can make a large pie. The cost $14.95 for Margherita. A personal-sized Margherita is $6.95 or $9.95 depending on what type of mozzarella you want.

Margherita is a favorite, and the gold standard, but we also tried the Contadina, which has sauce, mozzarella  sausage, basil and olive oil.

Cavalli is my new standrad for pizza in Dallas.

3601 Regent Boulevard, Irving

No comments:

Post a Comment